Permit Technician - Administrative Job in Port Saint Lucie, FL
Location: Port Saint Lucie, FL
Job Type: Full Time
Job Ref Code: 75-5-917
Are you interested in working with the public, handling important information, and making a business run? Do you have good interpersonal skills and like interacting with co-workers, clients, and superiors? If this sounds like the challenge you’re looking for, then a job as an Permit Technician could be the right fit for you.
We’re searching for a professional Permit Technician to carry out a variety of administrative and clerical tasks.
Permit Technician responsibilities may include the following:
- Answering and directing phone calls
- Organizing and scheduling appointments
- Serves as first point of contact for building construction for walk-in and phone customers.
- Assists with the Processing of permit applications for commercial, residential, miscellaneous, signs, temporary use, projects.
- Provides fee information and project numbers for fee collection.
- Inputs data into computer software for monthly report preparation.
- Forwards all outside reports to the Building Official for review and filing.
- May process over the counter permits for subcontractor trade permits.
- Filing, scanning, typing, communicating effectively.
- Liaising with executive and senior administrative assistants to handle requests/queries from senior managers
You will need to have the following:
- General administrative and clerical office functions.
- Previous experience in government offices or construction offices a plus.
- General computer operations, specifically proficient use of Microsoft Office software.
- Office machines, such as scanner, computer, copier and fax machine.
- Able to maintain a pleasant and courteous demeanor working in a fast pace environment.
- Establish and maintain an effective working relationship with all levels of management, City officials, vendors, other employees, and the general public.
- Attention to detail and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Communicate effectively in person, by telephone, and by e-mail with all levels of management, City officials, vendors, other employees, and the general public.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task. Ability to organize, prioritize and carry out office work with minimal supervision.
- High School degree; additional qualification as an Administrative assistant or Secretary would be a plus.
Your GainWhat you may gain while on the job:
- Staying active — the job will keep you on the move throughout the day.
- Customer service skills — handling multiple tasks and dealing with multiple customers.
- Enhanced communication skills — learning how to talk to diverse sets of customers.
- Problem solving and crisis management skills — avoiding and resolving potential negative customer experiences.
- Teamwork — partnering with co-workers and supervisors to ensure customers are satisfied.
- Teaching management skills — helping train and prepare new employees for the job.
- Rewarding career — opportunities for advancement to supervisory or management roles, and those with prior experience increase their chances of landing a job, getting promoted, and possibly earning higher pay.
Two (2) years of experience in administrative work preferably in a development services department, construction, permitting or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position. Training is provided on specific software programs used in the department.